The Tuesday Morning Paradiddle















I usually post these things on Monday mornings but seeing as yesterday was Canadian Thanksgiving today is in fact the de facto beginning to the week.

Last week was a very busy and exciting week of music for me. Monday started off with a bang performing the music from Charlie Parker's "Bird with Strings" album at the University of Calgary featuring Washington D.C. saxophonist Vaughn Ambrose and a full string section. It's not often I get to set up next to the harpist (and I thought that I had a tough load-in sometimes!) Wednesday evening I was at the Cliff Bungalow-Mission Jazz Series (curated by Jan Mulder) and presented the music from Pat Metheny's seminal 70s ECM album "Bright Size Life" with guitarist Ralf Buschmeyer and bassist Dale James. I had a fun time checking out Bob Moses' drumming to get me ready and man, that's some tough music! This past weekend took me up to Edmonton and I played the Yardbird Suite on Friday night with trumpeter Doug Berner's group and then Saturday evening with the Tom Van Seters Quintet. Never a dull moment for me these days and I'm very thankful to have the opportunity to play with so many talented and dedicated musicians on a regular basis.

Here's a few things cooking around the Four on the Floor office today:

-Here's the video tribute to Jack DeJohnette that accompanied his induction as an NEA Jazz Master earlier this year:



-Peter Hum, food & Jazz critic extraordinaire, over at the Ottawa Citizen recently interviewed vibraphonist Gary Burton in advance of his duo performance with Chick Corea:

http://blogs.ottawacitizen.com/2012/10/09/lifting-the-lid-on-one-of-jazzs-great-duos-the-gary-burton-interview/

Peter was also nice enough to review my album "Sunalta" not too long ago as well:

http://blogs.ottawacitizen.com/2012/09/20/five-canadian-quintets-demonic-and-otherwise-cd-reviews/

Thanks for the kind words Peter!

-Speaking of interviews, Ali Jackson Jr. recently spoke with the Examiner:

http://www.examiner.com/article/q-a-with-ali-jackson-of-the-jazz-at-lincoln-center-orchestra

I've really been digging Ali's playing on this particular album of late:




















I really dig how he cleverly dances around his rock-solid quarter pulse on the ride cymbal. He also plays with an incredible sense of space and dynamics.

Here's a few shots of this trio in action from Dizzy's earlier this year:







-My good friend and former McGill drumming colleague Rich Irwin (currently performing and touring with Nikki Yanofsky) will soon be featured at the Montreal Drum Fest next month. Here's a little preview of this fine drummer in action:



-Who wants press rolls? Do you want press rolls? Okay, Jason Marsalis has some press rolls for you!



After seeing this....I definitely need to work on my press rolls....

-Speaking of practicing, I've been trying to up my game with regards to playing in 3/4 these days. Check out these great exercises and playing from Jesse Cahill over at his fine blog:

http://jessecahill.wordpress.com/2010/11/11/drum-worksop-34-time/

http://jessecahill.wordpress.com/2010/11/19/drum-workshop-34-time-part-two/

Todd Bishop over at his excellent blog cruiseshipdrummer also has a series of great waltz exercises that stem from this ingenious little 3/4 Elvin Jones gem:

http://shipdrummer.blogspot.ca/2012/03/groove-o-day-elvin-afro-waltz.html

As Jesse points out in his earlier post, check out Master Roy Haynes in this footage and it's all there!



Have a great week everybody!