Howard McGhee - Dusty Blue

I am not a musician and not technically literate when it comes to music, but I do know what kind of jazz I like and I like this CD a great deal. I sampled other McGhee CD's here on Amazon and oddly enough, I preferred "Dusty Blue." This was my first introduction to Howard McGhee. I had heard the title cut recently on a local jazz sation and liked it so much I pulled over until the song ended and I could make a note of who the musician was. This is one of my most played jazz CD's in my collection. The music is not obtrusive. It's is very listenable straight ahead jazz with may familiar standards played. I made a copy for the car and my office. Of course, everyone's musical taste is different. If your taste is total abstract Miles Davis, then this may not be your cup of tea. - by Daniel J. Filice, Amazon.com

The 1950s had largely been a waste for Howard McGhee, as drug addiction had taken its toll on his playing. But he is in good form for this 1961 studio session for Bethlehem, leading a septet with baritone saxophonist Pepper Adams, trombonist Bennie Green, and tenor saxophonist Roland Alexander, with a top-notch rhythm section of Tommy Flanagan, Ron Carter, and Walter Bolden an added bonus. His delicious muted horn is the centerpiece of the lightly swinging take of "The Sound of Music" and strolling rendition of the normally bittersweet "Cottage for Sale," while he's on open horn for a snappy take of Cole Porter's "I Concentrate on You." McGhee's explosive side comes out in bop favorites like "Groovin' High," yet he is just as powerful playing long notes in the lush ballad "With Malice Toward None." McGhee's originals are all enjoyable, though none caught on with other jazz musicians. - by Ken Dryden, AMG

Artist: Howard McGhee
Album: Dusty Blue
Year: 1961 (Bethlehem)
Label: Avenue Jazz (1999)
Runtime: 35:32

Tracks:
1.  Dusty Blue (Howard McGhee) 2:53
2.  Sound of Music (Richard Rodgers/Oscar Hammerstein) 3:22
3.  I Concentrate on You (Cole Porter) 4:06
4.  Sleep Talk (Howard McGhee) 2:55
5.  Park Avenue Petite (Benny Golson) 3:32
6.  Flyin' Colors (Howard McGhee) 5:52
7.  With Malice Towards None (Tom Macintosh) 4:02
8.  Groovin' High (Dizzy Gillespie) 4:19
9.  Cottage for Sale (Larry Conley/Willard Robison) 4:28

Personnel:
Howard McGhee (Trumpet)
Bennie Green (Trombone)
Pepper Adams (Baritone Saxophone)
Roland Alexander (Tenor Saxophone)
Tommy Flanagan (Piano)
Ron Carter (Double Bass)
Walter Bolden (Drums)