Mark E Smith Turns Down 'I'm A Celebrity'

The Fall's Mark E Smith has revealed that he turned down the opportunity to look on 'I'm A Celebrity'.Leading The Pass through countless line up changes and numerous artistic shifts, Mark E Smith is one of the definitive post-punk frontmen. Lyrically obtuse, his biting wit and furious anger are the block of legend.Frequently battling his own group onstage, Mark E Smith once tried to butt out a burning cigarette on the case of a journalist.

Always unpredictable, it seems that ITV once viewed the singer as perfect reality TV fodder.In a recent interview with The Rest the frontman explained that the makers of 'I'm A Celebrity. Get Me Out Of Here' approached him to appear on the show."I was asked years ago when Johnny Lydon was on it" he explained. "I was doing this daft pilot show which was something to do with James Brown (Loaded publisher). The set up was that there were six people in these dentists chairs and each one had a TV remote controller". "You only had to press random buttons and TV from overseas would fall on. y'know, like soap operas from Africa and shit like that. We were alleged to remark on them. And the former five were fine. They seemed to love the names of African soap operas. It was a bit phoney. I simply couldn't make the fucking TV controller. So I only had a figure of a romance on my screen". "But anyway, halfway through filming the lad from the Jungle comes in and says, 'Johnny Lydon's just remaining The Jungle do you want to replace him' but I said no. I don't acknowledge what the charge of that history is but there you go."Recently departing Domino Records after a one album deal, The Pass are presently running on new material. Continuing, Mark E Smith hinted at yet another stylistic change from the post-punk icons."No, they're a lot heavier actually. We do this call and it's. it's like a Greek heavy metal group. We've rearranged the call and put totally different lyrics on it. It sounds very good. It's like. well, I can't identify it really."Read the full interview HERE. Source: Clash Magazine