Music and Thoughts from the Jan 23rd & 24th Class

I will be putting various things up on the class blog over the next few weeks as I think through how the class went last weekend. I will also be writing random thoughts as I read and write in preparation for the next theology weekend. Read or ignore at will.

Here are some of the questions that arose during class:
  • What does it mean to be saved? Redeemed? Forgiven?
  • What is a Christian?(Small question!)
  • What does it mean to be the pneumatikoi?
  • If the Holy Spirit is in the world, does the Spirit exclusively dwell with Christians? (Hidden behind this question: who are the 'elect'?)
  • What is redemption? Do you believe in redemption?
  • Do you believe in the promises of God? What are those promises?
Were there other questions that arose for you? I would love to hear them.

Here's a bad joke (I told you I had random things for you!):
What do you call a female owl sitting in the rain? (See below for the answer.)

OK, improv music from Saturday afternoon:

  • The first example that I played was the Holy Spirit portion of "In the Sweet embrace of Life Sermon" from In This House on this Morning by the Wynton Marsalis Septet.
  • The next example was Jan Gabarek and the Hilliard Ensembles Officium CD. They spent a year in dialogue before recording this. And yes, Jan Gabarek is improvising everything he plays on this album.
  • I also played a few songs from Appalachia Waltz with Yo-Yo Ma, Edgar Meyer and Mark O'Connor.
  • The final example I played was Ella Fitzgerald with the Count Basie Orchestra. (A classic recording!) However, I would really recommend, if you want to hear Ella at some of her improvisational best, her Ella in Rome recording.
There is so much other great improvisational music out there, but this gives you a few very different examples of improv. Of course you all could tell me other great examples. Improv tends to push the boundaries!! Great stuff.

And, the answer to the joke? "A moist owlet"!!

Peace,
Chelle