Holiday Movie Reviews

Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures.
Jessamyn West (1902 – 1984), writer

Grand Torino – Grrr. Clint Eastwood as a misanthropic old man who points a military assault rifle at kids ordering them to “get off my lawn,” (perfectly acceptable behavior and endorsed by the NRA). I thoroughly enjoyed it and now my neighbors know what to expect in a few years.

Frost/Nixon – Outstanding. Daughter came home and wanted to see it, I most likely would have missed it thinking that I watched the original with my grandfather. I would have missed a fascinating look at all the behind the scenes cat and mouse games. Nothing was ever how it seemed with Nixon.

Revolutionary Road – The Wheeler’s (Frank and April -- Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet) were neighbors to Martha and George from “Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?” This movie shows marriage as the institution it truly is…
. . . who's afraid of living life without false illusions. And it did strike me as being a rather typical, university intellectual joke. — Edward Albee on "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf."

Video worth renting
Transsiberian – A wonderfully suspenseful movie also about a marriage not as strong as inhabitants would prefer. Woody Harrelson, Emily Mortimer and Ben Kingsley are all terrific to watch.