Wesley Quote from Brent Johnson's Talk on Worship

John Wesley

on

Unity and Diversity within the Body of Christ

From Wesley’s 52 Standard Sermons


Though we have different opinions and worship styles, can’t we still be united? Though we don’t think the same, can’t we love the same? Can’t we be of one heart even when we’re not of one opinion? Of course we can. All of God’s children can unite even though we have small differences. While we disagree, we can still encourage each other in love and good deeds.

My question is this: “Is your heart right, like mine is right with yours?” Most importantly: Is your heart right with God? Do you believe in Jesus Christ as Lord? Do you show your love by your actions? If so, let’s all say, “Yes!” If that is what you want, then your heart is right, and my heart is right there with you.

If so, then take my hand. I’m not saying, “Agree with me.” That’s not necessary. I don’t expect it and I don’t even want it. Nor am I saying, “I will agree with your opinions.” I don’t. I don’t mean “Worship like me” or “I will worship like you.” No. Hold on to what you believe pleases God and I will do the same.

What I’m saying is, First, love me affectionately, as a friend closer than a brother or sister, as a fellow child of God, a fellow-citizen of heaven, a fellow-soldier in the same battle serving the same Lord and leader, our Savior. Love me as a companion in, and heir of the Kingdom of God.

Secondly, pray for me. Wrestle with God for me, that He would continue His work in my life, making me more like Jesus.

Thirdly, challenge me to love and do good works. Yes, prod and provoke me when I seem to be doing my will rather than God’s.

Lastly, don’t just love me with your words, but with your actions, authentically and sincerely. As much as you can (while still keeping your own opinions and worship styles), join with me in God’s work, and let us go on hand in hand.